Sunday, September 6, 2009

Another HPV vaccine

About two years ago I eagerly got my Gardasil HPV vaccine shots, which prevent two strains of cancer causing HPV. The nurse that administered my third shot told me to tell my male friends to come in for the shot as well. I was a little confused since I thought the vaccine was only for women, but this article in the Arizona Republic not only states that Gardasil is about to market to males but there is another HPV vaccine, Cervarix by Glaxo, about to drop in the states.

If you haven't already gotten the vaccine, be sure to do so, but do some research first. After all, according to the AZ Republic, "Gardasil and Cervarix both defend against HPV strains 16 and 18, which cause about 70 percent of cervical-cancer cases. But Merck's vaccine also defends against two other HPV types that cause 90 percent of genital warts, something Cervarix does not target."

Now if we could just get that male birth control pill on the market...

No comments:

Post a Comment